Monday, May 16, 2011

Just Because It's Your Secret, Doesn't Mean It's True

Monday Myth:  I did something that caused my infertility.

Unfortunately, I think this is a myth that we often carry around in the deep recesses of our hearts and minds.  It's not something that we talk about or share with anyone, not even our spouse or other loved ones.  Because it's our own little secret, we continue to harbor it and build it into a complicated and convincing truth.

The reality is that this myth is simply NOT true!  Past mistakes (real or perceived) are not punished through infertility.  IF is NOT punishment for mistakes we made in the pre-existence, nor did we cause it by our actions here on earth.

I think it's only natural to ask the "why me" question, and I don't pretend to have all the answers.  I do know that this is a mortal world and each of us agreed to enter mortality and face the trials, heartaches, and unfairness that is an inherent part of an imperfect world.

Let's not make it harder than it needs to be.  Pull this dusty old myth out of the mothballs of your mind and expose it for what it really is:  a lie meant to drag us down.  And remember the words of Galinda to her new friend Elphaba in the musical Wicked:  "Just because it's your secret, doesn't mean it's true!" 

No comments: